Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Gift of giving

As I type this post I'm lying on a rather comfortable bed/chair.

Sticking into my left arm is a needle, drawing blood which is going into a machine and then back into me.

I'm donating platelets.

This is my third platelet donation, I made 11 whole blood donations previous to this.

The process is a bit mote complicated donating platelets, but equally, if not more rewarding.

On your first visit you go through a donor assessment, which includes all the usual checks and questions, followed by a quick platelet count blood test.

If all is well you go into a clinic area, sit on these very comfy chairs (might get one for infront of the tv) another couple of checks and the needle is in before you know it.

Depending on your platelet count and how many units you want to donate the process of the donation can take from an hour to 90 mins. Today I'm giving 3 units, total time 78 mins, Ive 27 remaining.

Understanding the process takes some getting used to, there are times to squeeze the stress ball and times when you shouldn't, but all the staff are extremely friendly and helpful.

After its all done there is a lovely seating area where you rest and have drink in a bite to eat, before making and appointment for your next donation......don't forget to pick up a pen on the way out ;-)

I encourage each and everyone of you to make either a whole blood or a platelet donation, a short space of time from your day could mean all the difference to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment